melbourne graffiti #1

I've spent a lot of time visiting Fitzroy over the past decade and it's been a joy to see the celebration of street art there. Here's some random pics of some of my favorite sprayed works for your enjoyment.

one of my favourite older pieces, "creation of adam in space"
on the corner of Smith and Charles St (next to the great Cafe Rosamond)
contemporary commercial piece in Johnston St 
large commercial piece for Fitzroy green grocer
even their delivery truck gets the treatment

It's very reminiscent of Newtown in urban character and when I was working there in the 90's a similar series of "canvasses" were evolving.
small detail character
more Johnston St fun

The work is often deeply ironic but above all it is full of colour, vibrancy, freshness and fun. I'm not a fan of tags although I can see the tribal complexity in the better ones.

Johnston St printers
From a rebellious base to high art....  quite a dilemma. I really like it. Would be great to incorporate into some modern interiors, domestic and commercial. It's strong work with a fragility (can be painted over at any time) that must test the egos of the artists.

Thank God for photography....


J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW TO create any kind of complicated/fine work 3D in ArchiCAD

cammeray cottage

give your steep site a lift!!